Świętokrzyska Philharmonic Orchestra
- Świętokrzyska Philharmonic Orchestra
- 09/10/2014, at: 17:00
- Price: 20–30 PLN
- Concert Hall of Wrocław Philharmonic
conductor – Jacek Rogala
percussion – Leszek Lorent
Fernando Munizaga-Mellado [CH] – Espejismos
Jesper Nordin [SE/VICC] – Residues
Marcel Wengler [LU] – Tableau for orchestra
Panayiotis Kokoras [GR] – Kydoimos
Tomasz Jakub Opałka [PL] – Vitality
Grażyna Pstrokońska-Nawratil [PL] – Harmony – Kielce 2011
honorary patronage of the Embassy of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg and Embassy of the Kingdom of Sweden
The history of the Kielce Symphony Orchestra, which is known in Poland as the ‘Świętokrzyska‘ (Holy Cross) Philharmonic (its name is taken from the Holy Cross mountain range) goes back to the founding in 1920 of a symphony orchestra which brought together members of the local military band of the Fourth Infantry Regiment. The ambition of the local community to establish a professional music ensemble was fulfilled after World War Two. The Symphony Orchestra of the Kielce Province included twenty four members of the first ensemble, a fact which highlights the continuity of the artistic tradition. The orchestra inaugurated its activity on 28 July 1945, with Marian Stroiński serving as its director until 1955. He was succeeded by Felicjan Lasota.
In 1968 the orchestra was given Philharmonic status and was named after the famous Polish music ethnographer Oskar Kolberg. This was thanks to the efforts of its music director Karol Anbild, who held the post from 1957 to 1990. It was on his initiative that the ‘Świętokrzyskie Music Days’ Festival was launched in 1964 and the Philharmonic Chorus was established in 1984. In 1990-1995 the Philharmonic worked under the directorship of Tomasz Szreder. During his tenure the orchestra moved to the Kielce Cultural Centre.
In 1995-2001 the position of the Orchestra’s Managing and Artistic Director was held by Szymon Kawalla. In 1996, after a thirty-year break, he gave a new lease of life to the ‘Świętokrzyskie Music Days’ Festival. In 1998, the orchestra was given its present name – the ‘Świętokrzyska’ Philharmonic Orchestra. In 2001 the post of Managing and Artistic Director was taken over by the conductor and composer Jacek Rogala. In January 2012, the orchestra moved to a new facility, which was built within the framework of the ‘Operational Programme – Infrastructure and Environment’.
The Kielce Symphony Orchestra has performed under many outstanding conductors, such as Jacek Kaspszyk, Kazimierz Kord, Jerzy Maksymiuk, Marek Pijarowski and Tadeusz Strugała. The long list of soloists who have performed in Kielce has included Jeremy Findlay, Ingrid Fliter, Andrzej Hiolski, Krzysztof Jakowicz, Kevin Kenner, Zofia Kilanowicz, Konstanty A. Kulka, Mischa Maisky, Wiesław Ochman, Piotr Paleczny, Jadwiga Rappe, Wanda Wiłkomirska and Krystian Zimerman. The orchestra currently has eighty members. Foreign tours have taken it to the Benelux countries, Germany, Italy, Hungary and South Korea. Its discography includes ‘The Polish Album’ series, ‘We Are From Here’ and ‘Music for the Opening of the New Home’.